Homeless in Dakota County: Get Help, Donate or Volunteer

These organizations provide resources for those who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. Find the right group for you, whether you need assistance, or want to donate or volunteer.

Want to give your time, money or energy to Dakota County nonprofits and organizations fighting to end homelessness? Or do you need assistance in your own struggle to stay afloat?

Look no further than our guide to local shelters, social services and advocacy groups. Find the right group for you, whether you need help, or want to donate or volunteer.

360 Communities

Administrative Offices
501 East Highway 13, Suite 102
Burnsville, MN 55337
Phone: 952-985-5300

360 Communities is an organization that uses community engagement to positively shape the future of our communities. It employs data-driven research to identify trends, strengths and vulnerabilities, and then works with key community partners to build and implement action plans. At the same time, 360 Communities offers an interconnected web of opportunities that develop individual and community strength. Click here to learn more about volunteering at 360 Communities or here to learn how to donate.

Community Action Partnership (CAP) of Scott Carver Dakota Counties

Dakota County Office
2496 145th St. W.
Rosemount, MN 55068
Phone: 651-322-3500

The CAP Agency’s vision is to create a strong community with healthy individuals and families, quality education, safe and affordable housing, and work that dignifies. Its mission is to assist and empower people to achieve social and economic well-being by providing services in partnership with our communities. Annually, CAP provides 50,000 individuals with the assistance needed to achieve social and economic well-being. Click here to learn more about volunteering with the Scott Carver Dakota CAP or here to learn more about donating.

Chancellor Manor

Chancellor Manor
14250 Irving Ave. S.
Burnsville, MN 55068
Phone: (952) 435-7111

Dakota County’s largest subsidized housing development, Chancellor Manor, houses 200 families in 180 apartments and 20 townhomes. Located near County Road 42 and the Burnsville Center, Chancellor Manor—originally built in 1972 as Federal Section 8 housing—was given a $10.4 million makeover after Dakota County partnered with Community Housing Development Corporation. The renovation brought substantial upgrades to improve safety and security, resident comfort and curbside appeal.

Cochran House

Cochran Group Residential Housing
1294 East 18th St.
Hastings, MN 55033
Phone: 651-437-4209

Cochran Group Residential Housing (GRH) is a sober homeless shelter for those men ages 18 & up, who have recently completed chemical dependency treatment, but are not ready to enter day-to-day living experiences; men being released from jail or prison; men who have found themselves unable to find employment or have recently lost a job; men who are on probation. Those with admissions questions are encouraged to call Kenny J. from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday at 651-437-4585 or 1-800-742-4058.

Dakota County Community Services

Dakota County Community Services Administration
1 Mendota Rd. W. Ste. 500
West St. Paul, MN 55118
Phone: 651-554-5742

Community Services administrative staff provide direction and guidance to the following departments:

Dakota County Community Development Agency

Dakota County Community Development Agency (CDA)
1228 Town Centre Drive
Eagan, MN 55123
Phone: 651-675-4400

The CDA is a local government agency administering over 30 programs and managing over 2,500 units of affordable workforce and senior housing serving the communities and residents of Dakota County. Established in 1971, the CDA strives to be an innovative leader, creating affordable housing opportunities and strengthening Dakota County communities. Click the link for contacts to all Dakota County CDA programs.

Dakota Woodlands

Dakota Woodlands
3430 Wescott Woodlands
Eagan, MN 55123
Phone: 651-456-9110

Dakota Woodlands is a nonprofit that shelters and provides services to homeless women and their families. It began in 1981 as Mary’s Shelter in West St. Paul. The organization can house and work with 22 families at a time, providing basic needs, skills training and post-shelter living support. It provides for food, clothing, child care and hygiene for its residents; offers educational programs, like parenting, financial literacy and appointments with social workers, counselors and more; and helps families make community connections to create a successful life after leaving. Watch this YouTube video to learn more about Dakota Woodlands. Visit the Dakota Woodlands volunteers webpage for information on current volunteer needs and opportunities, or contact the volunteer coordinator at 651-456-9110 or volunteer@dakotawoodlands.org.
Make monetary donations to Dakota Woodlands any time through the organization’s website.

Guild Incorporated

Administrative Offices
130 South Wabasha St.
St. Paul, MN 55107
Phone: 651-450-2220

Guild Incorporated is a nonprofit organization that provides services and programs for people age 18 and older with mental illnesses to help them lead quality lives. The organization’s roots go back to the 1970s, but Guild Incorporated itself was established in 1990 by the Guild of Catholic Women.
Guild Incorporated provides a short-term crisis center, assertive community treatment services, primary behavioral health care, residential treatment services and employment services. Visit the Guild Incorporated volunteering webpage or contact volunteer@guildincorporated.org for more information on volunteering. Make monetary donations to Guild Incorporated any time through the organization’s website.

Hearth Connection

Hearth Connection
2446 University Ave. W., Ste. 150
St. Paul, MN 55114
Phone: 651-645-0676

Hearth Connection is a nonprofit that works with three regional, long-term homelessness projects and their providers to supply supportive housing to those in need; supportive housing is based on taking small case loads and providing specialized care. Hearth Connection, which began in 1999, serves as an intermediary between government and other nonprofits. Contact the Hearth Connection at 651-645-0676 for donation and volunteer opportunities.

Lincoln Place

Lincoln Place
1997 Gold Trl.
Eagan, MN 55122
Phone: 651-209-1681

Lincoln Place is a 24-apartment development for adults ages 18 to 24 who are homeless, at risk of being homeless and/or have disabilities; it’s a joint venture of the Dakota County Community Development Agency, and The Link, which provides educational and employment services, instruction on independent living skills and other support services. By increasing these skills and abilities, Lincoln Place aims to decrease the risk of homelessness occurring again in the future. Those who wish to reside at Lincoln Place must pass a drug test and background check and comply with a zero drug/alcohol policy, be able to live independently and be in school or working for at least 20 hours per week. Residents pay 30 percent of their income as rent. Visit The Link volunteers webpage for information on volunteer needs and opportunities. Make monetary donations to The Link any time through the organization’s givemn.org website.

Mental Health Resources

Administrative Offices
792 Transfer Rd., Ste. 21
St. Paul, MN 55114
Phone: 651-659-2900

Mental Health Resources is a nonprofit that provides community-based mental health services for adults recovering from mental illness, substance abuse and chemical dependency, and their families. It was started in 1976, and provides services such as assertive community treatment, counseling, psychotherapy, psycho-social rehabilitation, support groups and in-home therapy, as well as housing services. Mental Health Resources has partnered with Open Baskets since 2005 to provide gift baskets to MHR clients, with a goal to reach 2,500 clients per year. Visit the MHR website for more information about Open Baskets and how to get involved. Make monetary donations to Mental Health Resources any time through PayPal with a credit card or PayPal account. Donations also can be mailed. Beyond cash gifts, MHR offers opportunities for in-kind gifts, planned giving, charitable gift annuities and more. Visit the Mental Health Resources donations page for more information.

Safe Haven for Youth

Safe Haven for Youth
13780 McKenna Rd. NW
Shakopee, MN 55379
Phone: 952-288-2688

Safe Haven is a nonprofit facility that provides five one-bedroom apartments to adults ages 18 to 25 who are homeless and have a disability, under the umbrella of the Community Action Partnership of Scott, Carver and Dakota Counties. It also has provided group homes and transitional homes, which currently are closed. Rent at Safe Haven’s welcome center, where the apartments are fully furnished, is based on the tenant’s income. Staff members help each resident develop employment and self-sufficiency plans. Safe Haven is located on a campus with senior housing, a YMCA and a public park. Visit the Safe Haven website for more information about volunteer opportunities or to fill out a volunteer application. Make donations to the CAP Agency online at any time.

South St. Paul Housing and Redevelopment Authority

125 3rd Ave. N.
South St. Paul, MN 55075
Phone: 651-554-3270

The South St. Paul HRA is a public agency that aims to provide affordable, safe and decent housing for renters and homeowners. It was created under state legislation passed in 1964, and has made efforts in urban renewal in areas like Bridgepoint Business Park, and currently north and south of Concord Street.
The agency is charged with directing senior public housing, the housing choice voucher program, the home rehabilitation program, Rediscover South St. Paul and more in the housing realm. It also provides some assistance to local businesses.

Editor's Note: Homelessness rates in Dakota County and other suburban communities in Minnesota have risen substantially in the last five years. This list is part of a Patch series exploring that trend. Click on the links below to read other articles on the topic.

  • Aug. 13
  • Aug. 14
  • Aug. 15
  • Aug. 16
  • Aug. 17
Margo Danner August 22, 2012 at 01:53 PM
Thanks for printing this information on where people can go to for help, donate or volunteer. Thanks to the agencies and organizations listed that help our poor and homeless in Dakota County.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »