Are you looking for an outdoor activity now that fall has arrived? Several local spots offer a choice to pick your own apples or chose from some prepicked produce. Many of the locations below have additional activities available in addition to apple orchards.
Apple Orchards Around Burnsville
You can handpick apples or buy them fresh from the Apple Lodge. There are a large variety of activities available including live music, a petting zoo, corn maze, and hay jumping castle. Minnesota Harvest also has a grill, bakery, and handmade caramel apples. Call for reservations and information about bonfires and wagon rides.
- Hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily
- Address: 8251 Old Highway 169 at Apple Lovers Lane, Jordan
- Contact: 952-492-2785
The Minnesota Landscape Arboretum's Apple House offers a wide variety of apples, including University of Minnesota introductions. Plus, fresh produce, University of Minnesota ice cream, garden tools and more are available. Call the Apple House Hotline for updates on current varieties available. A portion of proceeds benefits the University of Minnesota apple research program.
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily
- Address: At the intersection of Rolling Acres Road and Highway 5 in Victoria (Just 1.5 miles west of the Arboretum entrance)
- Contact: 952-443-1409
The orchard offers several types of apples, as well as other fresh produce. Activities include a Scarecrow Festival and attractions such as the Tombstone Forest. Apple cider, apple pie, cider donuts, and other tasty treats are available. Call the Apple Orchard Crop Hotline for updated weather and picking information.
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily
- Address: 331 Enterprise Drive, Belle Plaine
- Contact: 952-873-3654
You can pick your own apples at Minnetonka Orchards, the type of apples available depend on the weekend. “Even if there is no u-pick open on a specific day or weekend you will still be able to purchase apples in the retail barn,” according to Minnetonka Orchards website. Other events available, according to the website, include hayrides, barn shopping, hay mountain, Owen’s barnyard, corn maze and more.
- Hours: Call for hours
- Address: 6530 County Road 26, Minnetrista
- Contact: 763-479-6530
Other Apple Orchards
If you’re looking for a full day of fun, Apple Jack Orchard in Delano is a good spot. This family owned orchard, which opened in 1983, has oodles of activities for kids of all ages. Wagon rides, corn maze, petting zoo and a gift shop are just a few of the unique things customers will find.
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. everyday
- Address: 4875 37th Street SE, Delano.
- Directions: Take Highway 55 west through Rockford, turn left on Wright County Road. (Signs are posted along the way)
- Contact: 763-972-6673
Honey Crisp, Haralson and Honey Gold are just a few of the apple varieties available at Knapton’s in Greenfield. You can pick your own or decide on prepicked varieties. In addition to apples, raspberries, strawberries and other produce are available in the fall as well.
- Hours: Call for hours 763-479-1184
- Address: 5775 State Highway 55, Greenfield
- Directions: Located on the south side of Highway 55, 11.5 miles west of I-494 in western Hennepin County at the intersection of Lake Sarah Heights Drive.
- Contact: 763-479-1184
Pies, crisp and 28 varieties of apples are available at Deer lake Orchard in Buffalo that you can pick and purchase. Make sure to call ahead for apple availability. Other family-friendly activities include wagon rides ($3 per rider), corn maze, kids play area and more.
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday; 12-6 p.m. Sunday
- Address: 1903 10th St SW, Buffalo
- Contact: 763-682-4284