Hello and welcome to the new Shooters Billiards pool blog, “Cue Tips.”
Over the last 20-plus years, Shooters has become the hub of pool in the south metro area, and this is the new spot where you can go to find out — or share — what's going on at the pool hall or in pool in general in the southern Twin Cities or across the state.
If you're not familiar with Shooters, it is located at the intersection of Highway 13 and Cliff Road. There are leagues or tournaments — or both — going on most days during, but with 64 tables there is still always room for walk-ins. There is a full bar and restaurant — the Massé Cafe — and Shooters is open until 3 a.m. 365 days a year. You can pay by the hour on 8- or 9-foot tables, or by the game on the 7-foot coin-op tables.
If you've never stopped in, or haven't been in lately, here's what you've missed:
- April Larson, a player in Shooters' junior leagues, recently returned from competing in a world championship in Germany, where she was the youngest player ever to represent Minnesota in a world competition. One of just 16 players to qualify for the world championship in her age group, April got there by winning a national tournament this summer. For more information on the junior leagues, contact Junior Pool League Coordinator June Maiers at 952-738-2672.
- The east end of the pool room has been remodeled. Video games were moved off the east wall, the pool tables were spread out and new light fixtures were installed. Then the finishing touch was applied by Jamie Pluta and the guys at The Pool Table Guys of Minnesota, who recovered all 12 of Shooters' 7-foot tables.
- In Shooters' Thursday night straight pool league, Tom Zensen and Luke Grover are tied for the lead in the Mosconi Division. In the Crane Division, Jason Bro, Hank Reilly and Mark Elhard are in a three-way tie for first. Luke Grover leads the Lassiter Division in the Sunday afternoon straight pool league. Those leagues are sanctioned by The MN Straight Pool Association, and standings are through Nov. 21.
- The Wednesday night AAA/Shooters in-house league is back for 2012-13. The league, which includes a number of the top players in the state, will reach its halfway point this Wednesday, with the EROSTATS.com team of Dustin Sheedy, Derek Bell, Nick Nelson, Daxs Balenger and Reeves Koster holding a slim lead over the Back In Action team of Jamie Pluta, John Meyer, Tim Tonjum, Tony Zierman, Derek McMaster, Anthony Piazza and Ryan Lidholm. Complete standings and stats are available here.
- Shooters regular Michael Perron Jr. finished in the money in the Open 8 Ball Masters Division in the Midwest Poolplayers Association Tournament in Davenport, Iowa, last week.
That's all for now.
If you haven't already, be sure to sign up for the Burnsville Patch newsletter so you can keep up-to-date on all the latest pool news from Shooters.