Weekend Planner: A Ukelele Roundup and Polar Plunge
There's plenty to do in the south metro this weekend, whether you're a Hollywood film buff, a rockstar on the ukelele or North Star-style daredevil.
• Minnesota proves its mettle this weekend at the 8th Annual South Metro Polar Bear Plunge, where hundreds of courageous (crazy) souls will brave the icy waters of Crystal Lake this Saturday to raise funds for Special Olympics Minnesota. Registration begins at 10 a.m. at the Brunswick Bowl in Lakeville. The plunge itself begins at 2:30 p.m. at Crystal Lake Beach, 1100 Crystal Lake Road East.
• Ukelele enthusiasts and novices are invited to Cabin Fever Uke Escape, a mid-winter shred fest at Apple Valley's Community Center, 14603 Hayes Road. The event is free and runs from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sponsored by StruMn Ukelele Players.
• Last chance to see Chameleon Theatre Circle's irreverent ode to the film industry, "Completely Hollywood (abridged)," which covers (and spoofs) 187 films and 100 years of Hollywood history with just three actors. Tickets cost $20.00 for general admission, $17 for seniors 62 and over, students, audio description and ASL patrons, and groups of 8 or more.
- Friday, February 22, 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, February 23, 2:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, February 24m 2:00 p.m.
• Steve-O (February 21 – 24)
Remember Steve-O from MTV's Jackass and Wildboyz? Steve-O, aka Stephen Glover, is best remembered for stapling his own scrotum to his leg during a performance in Houma, LA. He will be on stage at Mall of America's House of Comedy this weekend. You've been warned.
- Thursday: 7:30 p.m.
- Friday: 7:30 and 9:45 p.m.
- Saturday: 7:00 and 9:30 p.m.
- Sunday: 7:00 p.m.