Manager: Overheated Vodka Bottles Caused Freak Fire at Red Lion
Red Lion Liquors recently reopened after sustaining smoke and water damage during a minor fire sparked by sunlight and vodka bottles.
The owner of Red Lion Liquors is attributing a recent fire to an unusual culprit—sunshine and vodka bottles.
On Oct. 21, strong sunlight refracted through the bottles started a slow-burning blaze inside Red Lion Liquors. According to FOX 9, surveillance cameras showed smoke wafting up from the vodka display. As the heat grew the bottles popped, sending caps flying and liquor spurting in all directions. At one point, the flames shot up to 12 feet in the air.
"It's the unexpected things that can kind of sucker punch you," Manager Dave Hautman told FOX 9.
"It was entertaining," Hautman added. "The firefighters were standing next to me like they were watching a new video game. They were going, 'This is so cool!'"
The store reopened on Friday after being closed for about two weeks.