NYE: Getting There — And Back
Don't drive. There are a number of options for getting around the Twin Cities metro area on New Year's, and better yet, some of them are free.
• Going into the city? Ditch your car and ride the bus or train system free: Miller Lite will be sponsoring free rides on any route operated by MVTA, Metro Transit or the, Metropolitan Council. Free rides are available after 6 p.m. on New Year's Eve through the last scheduled trip on any regular route operated by MVTA, Metro Transit or the Metropolitan Council.
• Take a Taxi: A number of taxi services will be running all night in Burnsville and beyond. Here are a few. Note, this is an incomplete list.
- Suburban Green and White Taxi: 24-hour service to Burnsville. Rates are $2.20 per mile. Call 952-884-8888.
- Burnsville Taxi: This service will run all night on NYE, although riders are asked to call 45 minutes in advance. Rates are $2.20 per mile in city limits. Also serves Minneapolis, St. Paul and other burbs. Call 952-882-1111. For additional information go the company's website.
- Crown Taxi Airport Services: This is a 24-hour taxi, with service to Burnsville. Rates are $2.75 per mile. Call 612-250-5250 .
• Not an option: AAA does not offer Tipsy Tow in Minnesota. News has been circulating on facebook and other social media that Tipsy Tow — a free tow and pickup service offered by some AAA Clubs — will be available. While that is true in some other states, Minnesota is not one of them. Plan accordingly.