Flu Cases Spike Across Minnesota, CDC Encourages Vaccination
The Center for Disease Control has issued a statement asking residents to take precautions against flu: Here's where you can get vaccinated in Burnsville.
Flu season is coming early in parts of the United States, including Minnesota, and some of the cases have involved severe illnesses.
This time last year, flu cases were lower in Minnesota than they are now, according to data on Google's Flu Trends. (Dakota County-specific data is not available on Flu Trends, but flu cases in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro are in line with the state as a whole.)
Overall in Minnesota, activity is categorized as "high," while it was categorized as "low" at this time in 2011, according to Flu Trends.
And not only is the flu season starting earlier than usual, some of the illnesses in the upper Midwest are severe.
"We're seeing what we typically see in late December or early January," Dr. Patricia Quinlisk, the department's medical director, told The Des Moines Register.
If you're considering getting a flu shot, here are some places in the Burnsville that offer the vaccine:
- CVS/Pharmacy Store #5472
12751 Nicollet Avenue
Various locations in Burnsville
- Target Pharmacy
810 County Road 42 West
According to this week's CDC Flu activity report, influenza levels are on the increase not just in Minnesota but across the country.
Five states – Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee – are reporting flu rates not normally seen until January, according to the Centers for Disease Control. The flu season normally peaks in January and February.
Holiday travel and more time spent indoors due to soggy weather will contribute to the spread of the flu virus, so now is the time to get vaccinated.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers the following information:
See More on Patch
- Local Musicians Perform in France, Male Mentors Needed: Best of the Blogs
- Update: Mohamed Now One of the Most Popular Boy Names in Minnesota
- $20 Million I-35E Repairs to Cause Traffic Headaches in Burnsville
- Craigslist Curiosities: The Good, The Bad & The Bunny
- Flu Season Continues—Dakota County Offers Reduced-Fee Shots
Most Popular articles
- UPDATE: One Reported Dead, Three Injured in Accident on Highway 13
- Duo Accused of Burgling Two Funeral Homes, One Business
- Newly-arrived Level III Sex Offenders Cause Stir in Savage
- New Restaurant Planned for the Savage Depot
- POLICE: Man Posed as Burnsville Walmart Employee, Stole Over 50 Electronic Gadgets